Scroll down to read more
Southfield Veterinary Centre offers expert veterinary consultations and treatment for all companion animals during our normal consulting hours, with a 24 hour emergency service available outside of these hours. Our practice has a fully equipped pharmacy so that the vast majority of medication is available at the time of initial consultation. Our waiting and consulting rooms are spacious and modern with separate areas for cats and dogs. We also have extensive diagnostic and surgical facilities: For more information please see the facilities page.
We have full operating facilities within the surgery allowing for soft tissue, abdominal and orthopaedic surgical procedures. For more information please see the facilities page.
Verity Griffiths has extensive experience in surgery and provides a number of advanced procedures. With the assistance of our diagnostic team and other surgeons we use digital radiography, ultrasound and arthroscopy to allow diagnosis of many challenging cases.
We specialise in:
- Fracture repair – Depending upon what presents we can repair fractures using dynamic compression plates, pinning, screws, wires and external fixation.
- Cruciate disease – We offer Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA) together with Lateral Fabella Suture stabilisation. We also offer other stifle surgery techniques.
- Arthroscopy and joint surgery – Particularly elbows and shoulders when appropriate.
- Spinal surgery – We do however seek advanced diagnostics not yet available to us on site such as CT scanning and MRI.
Soft tissue surgery
The following are some of the procedures we offer in addition to routine surgery:
- Total Ear Canal Ablations and Lateral Bullae Osteotomy (TECA/LBO)
- Laryngeal Tieback
- Intra-thoracic and intra-abdominal surgery
- Diaphragmatic hernia
- Gastrodilation volvulus (GDV) and a variety of gastopexy techniques
- Perineal hernia repair
- Surgery of the urogenital tract
- Maxillofacial surgery
- Wound reconstruction particularly after tumor removal
Both Verity and Alice have additional qualifications in acupuncture and so can offer this valuable adjunctive therapy. This has proven to be useful in a variety of situations including spinal disease, arthritis and a variety of chronic diseases.
Diseases of the skin, including ears and claws, are a very common reason for pet owners to present their animals to their veterinary surgery. Diagnosis, and management is at times quite challenging. Recurrent skin irritation leading to symptoms such as excessive scratching, rubbing, nibbling, over grooming, hair loss and malodorous skin is especially frustrating and distressing for the pet, the owner and the veterinary surgeon concerned. Repeated visits can for chronic or recurring cases become costly and time consuming. At Southfield, Rik Vanhoutteghem has a special interest and post graduate qualifications in Veterinary Dermatology allowing accurate diagnoses of skin diseases, effective treatment and improved outcomes for pets and their owners.
A prescribed rehabilitation programme can offer tremendous benefits to post-operative and post-injury patients. The same applies to patients suffering with long term conditions such as arthritis and hip dysplasia.
Physiotherapy uses hands on techniques, electrotherapy and exercise therapy. It is a highly effective aid to post-surgery recovery: relieving pain, restoring function and speeding the recovery process.
Physiotherapy is also used very successfully in the long term management of conditions and can be a useful adjunct to assist the diagnostic process.
Conditions that will benefit from physiotherapy include:
- Lameness (including undiagnosed
- Hip dysplasia
- Elbow dysplasia
- Soft tissue injuries
- Neurological conditions
- Medically unwell animals – requiring prolonged rest or immobilisation
- Canine massage
Our Nurses offer a range of free clinics, these include:
- Dental healthcare – available as a routine check or post dental treatment, our nurses can advise on all aspects of dental hygiene
- Slimming/weight clinics – for any patients who may have trouble controlling their weight, dietary advice and regular monitoring are available (reword)
- Puppy and kitten clinics – to give you help with the first few months of having your new pet
- Puppy parties – These offer your puppy a valuable opportunity to socialise with other puppies of different breeds and sizes in a safe environment. Receive valuable advice on how you can prevent future behavioural issues now, whilst your puppy is at an impressionable stage of their social development.
We have an underwater treadmill and two qualified hydrotherapists to operate this service. Hydrotherapy is a very useful complementary treatment for our post operative orthopaedic patients, for weight loss and those patients with arthritis to aid mobility. We offer this service to our neighbouring practices
Beverley Gilmour a level 3 qualified groomer offers a range of services including clipping, bathing, trimming, hand stripping, nail clips and ear and teeth cleaning.
Beverly is a City and Guilds Level 3 qualified groomer and she has many years experience of working with all breeds of dogs. Beverley is a member of the Pet Industry Federation and regularly takes part in further training to keep up to date with the latest innovations. Beverley offers a range of services including clipping, bathing, trimming, hand stripping, nail clips and ear and teeth cleaning. Beverley also offers a collection and delivery service.
We can offer referrals for behavioural issues and homeopathy services. Please ask at reception if you require either of these services.